Ms. DeVaney-Wilkes, (Ms. D.)
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
My name is Suzanne DeVaney-Wilkes, but I'm better known as Ms. D. at Holy Cross. In my family, I'm also known as Grandma Suzy. I have two awesome grandsons, Xander (5 yrs.) and Rowan (3 yrs. on Oct. 20th) and my first granddaughter who was born during Labor Day weekend, on September 6th, about a month early! Luckily, she is doing well. God is good!
This is my forty-first year of teaching, my thirty-third at Holy Cross. I can hardly believe how quickly time has passed! Most of my career has been spent teaching second grade. It's such an incredible year of academic, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical growth. I still have fond memories of being a second grader myself in Mrs. Edlund's class at The Madeleine School in Portland . My hope is that your child will feel the same way I did and still do about this special year of elementary school.
Ms. Shannon Goldrick, Ms. G., is our amazing second grade part-time instructional aide. She assists in the classroom each day until noon, and then shares her time and talents with other classrooms till dismissal. It's such a blessing working with Ms. G!
We welcome Miss Anna Wanner who will be spending her professional year student teaching in the second grade. Miss Wanner attends the University of Portland and is very excited to get to know the students and provide engaging lessons to help them grow in their faith and learning. I am equally excited to help make her experience at Holy Cross a success!
Students need a respectful, challenging, and safe classroom environment where they can feel comfortable and confident in their learning. Effective classroom management directly enhances the learning environment. Students who consistently demonstrate behaviors and attitudes that reflect the Schoolwide Learning Expectations (SLEs) become Busy Bee Self-Managers. The children really take these expectations to heart and do their best to become Busy Bees!
Second graders who have been baptized have the opportunity to receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist during the school year. Please contact Andrea Swanson, the parish Director of Religious Education, if you are interested in having your child participate in the parish program. This is an important mission of the parish. We hope to deepen the children's knowledge of Catholicism and put their faith into action. The children come with open minds and hearts in order to more fully participate in the Church, the Body of Christ. Even though I am no longer directly involved in teaching the Sunday sacramental preparation classes, I will offer support by planning with Mrs. Swanson and presenting faith-based lessons in the classroom.
It's wonderful to be part of the Holy Cross community. It feels like a home away from home, and there's no place I'd rather be!
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:7
Back-to-School ~ Distance Learning Video Link: https://safeYouTube.net/w/cHXY
How to Sign in to Seesaw with Google: https://safeYouTube.net/w/JCXY
Second grade focus . . .
- Religion: During our first week of school, we will honor Jesus' Mother, Mary. In fact, September 8th is the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary! Students will discover Mary's compassion and why the Catholic Church honors her throughout the liturgical year. After that, we will begin the first unit of study called Revelation. The essential question guiding this unit is: "How does Jesus help us find our way to God?"
- Reading: Second graders will be reading a variety of developmentally appropriate literature and informational texts from the Journeys reading series. Phonics, vocabulary, and comprehension skills are ongoing and integrated into lessons. Guided reading groups provide differentiated instruction in order to meet the needs of all learners. Students will also read electronic books on a website called Raz-Kids. This site can be accessed at home for additional practice. Login information will be placed in your child's red READING FOLDER.
- English: The 6+1 Traits of Writing integrated with the English Language Arts Common Core Standards are being used in planning, teaching, and assessing the progress of my young authors. Students will begin writing in the narrative style.
- Spelling:The Rebecca Sitton Spelling Program is a resource that is used schoolwide. In second grade, there are 170 Core Words that the students should master by June. The weekly spelling lists are made up of high-frequency words that recycle through the year.
- Handwriting: The manuscript alphabet (printing) will be reviewed briefly at the beginning of the school year. The four keys of legibility (letter size, shape, spacing and slant) are being emphasized and used for assessment. Later in the fall, students will be introduce to the cursive alphabet. The Zaner-Bloser style is used for instruction.
- Math: Second graders will be working with numbers within 20. Strategies for learning basic facts, solving one-step and multi-step word problems, and reading data from picture and bar graphs will be explored.
- Social Science: The focus of our lessons will be on the Schoolwide Learning Expectations: HolyCross students are Faith-Filled Christians, Responsible Citizens, and Lifelong Learners!
- Science: You are here. You take up space. You MATTER! You guessed it! Matter is our first unit of study.
- Art:Second grade artists are exploring line, shape, and color this year.
2nd Grade Goals - Click here for kid-friendly versions of math and language arts goals.
Children's books to help further conversations about race:
Learning about and having the opportunity to fully participate in the wonderful sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist makes second grade an extra special year! This is certainly a year that no one will forget! Even though the parish programs had to adapt to the times because of the pandemic, the children were active participants and eager to deepen their faith and receive these blessed sacraments.
First Reconciliation ~ Congratulations to Mallory, Abigail, Ethan, Teagan, Franny, Aubree Rose, Jack, Diego, Caroline, Luisa, Julian, and Poppy who received the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time either here at Holy Cross or at St. Wenceslaus Church in Scappoose.
First Holy Communion
Congratulations to Jack who received his First Communion on June 14th at St. Wenceslaus.
Congrats to Mallory and Poppy for receiving their First Communion on June 28th at Holy Cross.
The following students have also received this Blessed Sacrament at Holy Cross Church:
Many blessings to Teagan and Caroline who received their First Communion on July 11th.
Congratulations to Diego whose First Communion was on July 18th.
So happy for Ethan Chand who received his First Communion on July 25th.
Best wishes to Abigail for receiving her First Communion on August 15th.
Special blessings to Luisa and Franny who celebrated their First Communion on August 22nd.
Many blessings to Aubree Rose who celebrated her First Communion on September 12th.
First Communions will be ongoing throughout the summer! Many thanks to Andrea Swanson, Fr. Mark, and Fr. Hannon!!!
Use this link to place your Scholastic Book Order online
Book orders will resume when school opens again.
The second grade works with the St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry with whatever they may need. We also provide service to the parish by making various projects, and writing notes for the homebound.
Second graders carried all the items donated during the fall Food Drive to the SVdP Food Pantry.