Library, Mrs. Amanda Louie
Mrs. Amanda Louie
Years Experience: 25 years
Years at Holy Cross: 25
Education: M.S. Education, Reading Endorsement, ESOL Endorsement
Continuing Education: Notre Dame's English as a New Language program
Welcome! My name is Amanda Louie and I am the librarian, a 5th grade small group teacher, and am Middle School Academic Support. I was born and raised in northern Utah and moved to Oregon in 1994 to attend the University of Portland, where I earned a Masters of Education degree with a reading endorsement and an ESOL endorsement.
I began my teaching career at Holy Cross in 1998. I have taught at two other schools but returned to Holy Cross because it feels like home. I have taught in every grade from 3rd grade to 8th grade. I have also taught Title One Reading. I have completed the University of Notre Dame's English as a New Language program as a Hernandez Fellow through the ACE Program.
“When you open a book with your children, you are opening the world for them."
1. Talk with your children as you play, shop, or work around the house. Listen to what they say. Ask questions.
2. Read to your children.
3. Let your children see you read.
4. Ask older children to read to younger ones.
5. Go to the library together.
6. Give your children books about their special interests.
7. Keep books, magazines, and newspapers around your home.
8. Plan outings for your children.
9. Say rhymes and poetry, or sing songs.
10. Tell stories about your family.
General Library Information
All students come to the library each week for a read aloud novel and to check out books. Reading or being read to each night at home is a key to success in school.
Please ask your child/children to share with you the book(s) that he/she checked out of our school library.
If you have any concerns about the book(s) being checked out by your child/children, please contact me.
My goal is to help your child have an enjoyable reading experience while improving reading skills.