Mrs. Lucy Neary
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
My name is Lucy Neary and this is my eleventh year teaching Music and directing choir at Holy Cross. I graduated from Gonzaga University in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in Vocal Performance and a Bachelor of Arts in Music education, as well as a certification in Elementary Education and a minor in Conducting. I received a Masters in Choral Conducting from Portland State University in 2014.
In Music class, students in all grade levels learn how to read music! They will identify note names and rhythmic patterns. Students will learn new aspects of Music Theory, like how to build major and minor scales, how to identify time signatures and key signatures, and how to compose their own music. We will also begin analyzing music using concepts from Music Theory. We will investigate Music History through projects on composers, musical genres, and musical eras. In addition to Theory and History, students will learn to sing properly with daily warm ups. I look forward to a great year of music making!
Our School Song!
Check out our school song for the 2020-2021 school year, based on this year’s Scripture passage, Corinthians 13:7!
Click this link to hear Love Never Fails by Brandon Heath
Back to school videos:
1st-4th Grade students and families, please watch this video for information on Music during distance learning!
5th-8th Grade students and families, please watch this video for information on Music during distance learning!
- During Distance Learning, each student will be offered one synchronous lesson via Zoom and one asynchronous lesson every week. For security reasons, I will not post the Zoom link here, but it will be sent out before the class via email, SeeSaw (for 1st-4th grades), and Google Classroom (for 5th-8th grades). Asynchronous lessons will be assigned during each Zoom class and should be completed before the following class.
- Middle School students should complete their asynchronous lesson during Applied Learning Time.
- 1st-5th Grade students should complete their asynchronous lesson during their assigned asynchronous music time or during other asynchronous learning time during the school day (this is based on the class schedule designed by your classroom teacher).
- For 1st-4th grade students, lessons will be assigned on SeeSaw. For 5th grade through 8th grade students, lessons will be assigned on Google Classroom. The invitation to join Google Classroom has been sent to 5th grade through 8th grade HolycrossK8 email addresses and parents will be invite as soon as their student has accepted their invitation.
- Kindergarten students will receive a synchronous and asynchronous Music lesson during the school week.
- I will be available to answer any questions via email (email@example.com) on Monday, Thursday, and Friday and will respond by the end of the day.
Synchronous Class Schedule:
Kindergarten Music- Fridays, 9:30-10:00 AM
First Grade Music- Thursdays, 12:30-1:00 PM
Second Grade Music- Thursdays, 1:15-1:45 PM
Third Grade Music- Fridays, 10:15-10:45 AM
Fourth Grade Music- Fridays, 11:00-11:30 AM
Fifth Grade Music- Mondays, 9:30-10:00 AM
Sixth Grade Music- Thursdays, 9:30-10:00 AM
Seventh Grade Music- Mondays, 10:15-10:45 AM
Eighth Grade Music- Thursdays, 10:15-10:45 AM
This year, all classes will be learning the following skills:
- Reading and writing rhythmic patterns
- Reading and writing songs through the use of Solfege and the Curwen Hand Signs
- Reading and writing songs through the use of traditional music notation
- Listening to and evaluating the music of various cultures and genres
- Listening to and evaluating musical performances
- Connecting music to other subject areas
Grading and Attendance:
- Throughout Distance Learning, Music class will be Pass/No Pass (70-100% is Pass, 0-69% is No Pass). The Music grade will be based on participation in Zoom Calls and completion of asynchronous assignments.
- Students will be given points for participation in Zoom Calls. If a student is unable to attend a Zoom Call for any reason, please contact Mrs. Neary via email.
- Students can check their grade on TeacherEase.
Long Term Sub:
- I will be taking maternity leave beginning sometime at the end of September or beginning of October and returning in January after Christmas break. While I am gone, Mrs. Michele Hetherington will be teaching Music class. Her start date will be Monday, October 26. Here is a note from Mrs. Hetherington:
Hi! My name is Michele Hetherington. I love teaching, especially music. I have been teaching in elementary/middle school classrooms for 33 years. Part of my experience has been leading beginning band, choir, handbells and Orff ensembles. I am an Elementary Music Specialist with a B.Ed and Orff training. When I retired 3 yrs ago I moved to Portland from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and was excited to connect with Holy Cross. Some of you have met me when I have been in the school volunteering or subbing. I am looking forward to seeing you all in music class!
Distance Learning Tools:
SeeSaw (1st-4th Grades)-
- Watch this for an overview of how to use SeeSaw.
- Watch this to see how to complete an asynchronous assignment on SeeSaw.
Google Classroom (5th-8th Grades)-