Called to Protect
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
Volunteer Requirements & Training Information
Holy Cross Catholic School and Parish, along with every other school and church within the Archdiocese of Portland, follows requirements for the prevention of sexual abuse, referred to as Called to Protect. These requirements are set forth by the Archdiocese to ensure that our volunteers and staff are trained and cleared to work in schools, and that our schools and churches remain safe for our kids.
Listed below are the Archdiocesan requirements to volunteer with children. Depending on your clearance status last school year, you are required to complete some of the requirements detailed below.
Requirements for new volunteers.
A new volunteer is someone who has not been cleared through the Archdiocese of Portland to volunteer.
The deadline for completing Called to Protect Training is November 30, 2018.
- Attend Called to Protect Training (see below)
- Complete Background Check VOLUNTEER Instructions for Online Background Check
- Read and Sign a Standards of Conduct for Ministry with Children and Youth
Called to Protect Training scheduled at Holy Cross Catholic School:
- Wednesday, September 19 from 6:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. in a school classroom
- Wednesday, September 26 from 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. in the Parish Center * ** Space is limited, must RSVP with Melissa Compton at email@example.com
- Wednesday, October 3 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. in a school classroom
- Tuesday, October 16 from 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. in the Parish Center * ** Space is limited, must RSVP with Melissa Compton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday, November 6 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. in a school classroom * ** Space is limited, must RSVP with Melissa Compton at email@example.com
Requirements for Previously Cleared Volunteers
Previously cleared volunteers may include volunteers from returning families as well as anyone who may have been cleared through their church or another Catholic School to volunteer last school year.
Background Check: In accordance with the Archdiocese of Portland, every adult volunteer must have a background check whether you are working directly with children or not. Background checks are renewed every THREE years. VOLUNTEER Instructions for Online Background Check
Training Courses: Each year, the Archdiocese requires that specific online course(s) be viewed in order to stay current. Volunteers need only to complete the online course(s) specified for each year. You do not need to go back and complete online courses from past years.
There are TWO courses required for the 2018-2019 school year:
- Duty to Report Mandated Reporter
- Sexual Harassment
You may access these courses through the Armatus website on the Archdiocesan page: link to log in for courses
The deadline for completing these courses is November 30, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding these courses, please contact Melissa Compton.
Office of Child Protection/Victim Assistance
Follow the link for the Archdiocesan Office of Child Protection and Victim Assistance. The webpage includes links to the Archdiocese Child Abuse Policy, Code of Conduct, and Standards of Conduct. These policies are available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. http://www.archdpdx.org/cpo/
If you have any questions regarding the Call to Protect series or questions regarding these expectations, please contact Melissa Compton.