CASE: Creating a Safe Environment
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
Volunteer Requirements and Training Information
Holy Cross Catholic School and Parish, along with every other school and church within the Archdiocese of Portland, follows requirements for the prevention of sexual abuse, referred to as CASE: Creating a Safe Environment. These requirements are set forth by the Archdiocese to ensure that our volunteers and staff are trained and cleared to work in schools, and that our schools and churches remain safe for our kids.
Although we are not sure when volunteers will be able to return to school, we need to make sure that all of our volunteers are ready to "hit the ground running" when they return.
If you have already completed the in-person C.A.S.E. training, the online portion, "Meet Sam", only takes about 30 minutes to complete online. Please see the directions below and contact Mary Jane directly if you have any questions.
Thank you to everyone who attended CASE training last year. For the upcoming school year, there is mandatory training in the form of an online module. This module, "Meet Sam," is for all returning volunteers who have already completed the initial CASE training.
This training is designed to:
- help you learn how to identify adults who are engaging in unsafe behaviors
methods they use to manipulate their coworkers, parents, and children to meet their own needs
- learn how to identify interactions between adults and children that may indicate danger.
To access the "MEET SAM" Training site:
- Go to: www.archdpdx.org (Log on to a high speed internet connection - program not set up for cell phones and some tablets)
- Click on the Offices tab and select Child Protection/Victim Assistance from the drop down menu
- Click on the Armatus Online Training link
- Enter your login username (first initial of first name, full last name) and password (2 digit birth month, 2 digit birth day, and "or" for Oregon or "wa" if you live in Washington) use lowercase for both username and password
- Click on the Login button
- Scroll down to the course entitled, "Meet Sam." Choose the language you want to use to complete
For new volunteers to Holy Cross Church and School as of July 1st, 2020, mandatory comprehensive CASE training is required and must be completed in person. More information regarding CASE will be coming soon.
Please contact me if you have any questions about your volunteer status or if you need support in accessing the site.
Mary Jane Weber
Holy Cross Catholic Parish