CASE: Creating a Safe Environment
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
Volunteer Requirements & Training Information
Holy Cross Catholic School and Parish, along with every other school and church within the Archdiocese of Portland, follows requirements for the prevention of sexual abuse, referred to as CASE: Creating a Safe Environment. These requirements are set forth by the Archdiocese to ensure that our volunteers and staff are trained and cleared to work in schools, and that our schools and churches remain safe for our kids.
This year’s training will be a combination of a video and live training presentation. This one and a half hour training will be available in each parish and school in the Archdiocese. Participants will learn:
- Sexual abuse is preventable
- How to recognize red-flag behaviors between adults and youth
- How to keep yourself safe by staying within the “acceptable Zone”
- How to report suspected sexual abuse
El entrenamiento de este año será una combinación de un video y una presentación de entrenamiento en vivo. Este entrenamiento de una hora y media estará disponible en cada parroquia y escuela de la Arquidiócesis. Los participantes aprenderán:
- El abuso sexual es prevenible
- Cómo reconocer comportamientos entre adultos y jóvenes que son señales de alertas
- Cómo mantenerse a salvo permaneciendo dentro de la “Zona Aceptable”
- Cómo reportar sospechas de abuso sexual
Listed below are the Archdiocesan requirements to volunteer with children.
The deadline for completing Called to Protect Training is November 30, 2019.
Requirements for ALL volunteers:
- Attend CASE Training (see below)
- Keep criminal background check updated (every three years)
CASE Training in English scheduled at Holy Cross Catholic School:
- Sunday, September 8 from 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in the School Hall
- Wednesday, September 11 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the School Hall
- Thursday, September 12 from 7:15 p.m. - 8:45 p.m. in the Parish Hall
- Tuesday, September 17 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the School Hall
- Thursday, September 19 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the School
Follow this link to sign up for one of the trainings: CASE TRAINING SIGN UP
Case Trainings in Spanish scheduled at Holy Cross Catholic School.
- Monday, September 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the School Hall
- Saturday, September 28 at 9:00 a.m. in the School Hall
Additional Requirements for NEW volunteers:
- Complete Initial Background Check VOLUNTEER Instructions for Online Background Check
- Read and Sign a Standards of Conduct for Ministry with Children and Youth
If you have any questions regarding these courses, please contact the school's CASE trainer, Mary Jane Weber
Office of Child Protection/Victim Assistance
Follow the link for the Archdiocesan Office of Child Protection and Victim Assistance. The webpage includes links to the Archdiocese Child Abuse Policy, Code of Conduct, and Standards of Conduct. These policies are available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. http://www.archdpdx.org/cpo/
If you have any questions regarding the Call to Protect series or questions regarding these expectations, please contact Mary Jane Weber.