Eighth Grade, MS Science,
Mr. Keegan Davis
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
I am North Portland born and bred. Grew up just blocks from the historic St. Johns Bridge and have called St. Johns home nearly my entire life. I attended Holy Cross School as a student from first grade through eighth. Then I went off to Central Catholic High School and, because I couldn't get enough of North Portland I attended The University of Portland twice! I have just finished my tenth year as a teacher at Holy Cross and am looking forward to taking on the duties of being the 8th grade teacher this coming fall.
This is my Amazing class!!!
Important January/February Dates
- 1st - New Year's Day! No School!
- 12th - Admissions and Financial Aid Applications due to the high schools
- 15th - MLK Jr. Day! No School!
- 16th - Tech Night held in school hall 6:30-8:00 pm
- 26th - Parent's Club Game Night and Book Fair kickoff in school hall @ 6:30pm
- 29th - 8th grade to the Blanchet House
- 12th - December Birthdays Free Dress
- 10th - School Auction @ The Airport Sheridan Hotel
- 14th - Ash Wednesday School Mass at 8:30
- 15th-16th - Conferences
- 26th - Jumping for the Heart all school assembly
- 28th - 8th grade to the Blanchet House
Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
And all your soul, and all your mind;
And love your neighbor as yourself. Luke 10:27
Every month, a group of 8th graders goes to the Blanchet House in downtown Portland to serve lunch to those in need. Tasks include bussing tables, serving food and bringing the food to the guests. Depending on the day, anywhere between 100 to over 400 plates of food are served in an hour. Students genuinely enjoy the work and always leave with a smile. Any parent who can drive some of the students can also participate in the service to the community. More information can be found at the Blanchet House website.
At the end of each school year, the 8th grade takes a trip to Ashland, Oregon to experience the world famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We spend two nights in beautiful Ashland and go to see two plays, as well as participate in several workshops and educational presentations. This year we will be seeing “Love's Labour's Lost”, which the students will be reading in class before the trip. We will also be seeing The Book of Will.
This year, the trip will be on June 7- June 9. Thank you to all the volunteer chaperones as well as the parents for fund raising for the trip. This is always an amazing experience and a chance for the kids to see world class performances!