Eighth Grade, MS Science,
Mr. Keegan Davis
“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
I am North Portland born and bred. Grew up just blocks from the historic St. Johns Bridge and have called St. Johns home nearly my entire life. I attended Holy Cross School as a student from first grade through eighth. Then I went off to Central Catholic High School and, because I couldn't get enough of North Portland I attended The University of Portland twice! I am now in my 12th year as a teacher at Holy Cross and am very much looking forward to the opportunity once again!
Happy Catholic Schools Week!!!
Some exciting events to be sure not to miss:
- Friday, January 25th -Parents’ Association Game Night and Book Fair Kick-Off in the school hall, 6:30PM-9:00PM (Book Fair open 6:30PM-8:00PM)
- Sunday, January 27th -School Open House 11:00AM-2:00PM & Scholastic Book Fair open 9:00AM to 2:00PM
- Thursday, January 31st -We welcome our grandparents, families, and special friends All-school Mass at 8:30AM. Everyone is invited to join us. Open House following Mass, with entertainment in the school hall and refreshments by the classrooms.
Other Exciting Events that are coming up in January and February
- January 30th - Blanchet House Service Trip
- February 1st - No School. Faith Formation in-Service
- February 14th & 15th - Conferences
- February 19th - No School - Teacher in-Service
- February 20th - Blanchet House Service Trip
- February 28th - Middle School trip to St. Mary's High School for a play
STEM Fair Stuff
The STEM Fair, happening on Wednesday March 20th, is fast approaching and We are very excited!!!!
Here are some important documents having to do with the STEM Fair:
Here are some great websites with projects and ideas that might pique your interest and inspire you
Hopefully these links and pages are helpful. Excited to see all of the projects and all of you May 20th!!!
Great is our Lord, vast in power, with wisdom beyond measure. Psalm 147:5
Every month, a group of 8th graders goes to the Blanchet House in downtown Portland to serve lunch to those in need. Tasks include bussing tables, serving food and bringing the food to the guests. Depending on the day, anywhere between 100 to over 400 plates of food are served in an hour. Students genuinely enjoy the work and always leave with a smile. Any parent who can drive some of the students can also participate in the service to the community. More information can be found at the Blanchet House website.
Upcoming Service Dates
- January 30th
- February 20th
- March 5th & 12th
- April 2nd
- May 7th & 21st
- June 4th
8th grade parents - If you are interested in volunteering with us on any of these trips or if you are willing to ferry us to and from the Blanchet House on any of these days, be sure to let Mr. Davis know. Thanks!
At the end of each school year, the 8th grade takes a trip to Ashland, Oregon to experience the world famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We spend two nights in beautiful Ashland and go to see two plays, as well as participate in several workshops and educational presentations. This year we will be seeing “Love's Labour's Lost”, which the students will be reading in class before the trip. We will also be seeing The Book of Will.
This year, the trip will be on June 7- June 9. Thank you to all the volunteer chaperones as well as the parents for fund raising for the trip. This is always an amazing experience and a chance for the kids to see world class performances!