“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
Volunteer Requirements & Training Information
Holy Cross Catholic School and Parish, along with every other school and church within the Archdiocese of Portland, follows requirements for the prevention of sexual abuse, referred to as Called to Protect. These requirements are set forth by the Archdiocese to ensure that our volunteers and staff are trained and cleared to work in schools, and that our schools and churches remain safe for our kids.
Listed below are the Archdiocesan requirements to volunteer with children. Depending on your clearance status last school year, you are required to complete some of the requirements detailed below.
Requirements for new volunteers.
A new volunteer is someone who has not been cleared through the Archdiocese of Portland to volunteer.
1. Attend the “Called to Protect” Volunteer Training: This is a one time requirement for all volunteers working directly with children. The following trainings are scheduled at Holy Cross for the 2017-2018 school year:
Please see the Archdiocese of Portland’s website for a list of additional session dates, times, and locations. All volunteers, who have not previously attended training, must attend one of these training sessions. Each session will include the complete Called to Protect™ for Parents and Families and Called to Protect™ for Ministries training.
2. Volunteer Background Check: You must renew your background check every 3 years.
3. This year the Child Protection Office is joining with the Marriage and Family Life Office in using a course provided by Covenant Eyes and Catholic Mutual Group on the dangers of pornography. You will see on this information sheet that clergy, employees and volunteers will login to the Covenant Eyes website to access the video presentation and complete the quiz. Once you have completed both, a certificate will be created for you. Print the certificate and give to the school.
Requirements for Previously Cleared Volunteers
Previously cleared volunteers may include volunteers from returning families as well as anyone who may have been cleared through their church or another Catholic School to volunteer last school year.
1. Called to Protect Training: The in-person training must be completed by any volunteer. As of September 2017, Called to Protect is required of all volunteers regardless of the number of times they volunteer. This is only required one time.
2. Background Check: In accordance with the Archdiocese of Portland, every adult volunteer must have a background check whether you are working directly with children or not. Background checks are renewed every THREE years.
3. Training Courses: Each year, the Archdiocese requires that one specific online course be viewed in order to stay current. Volunteers need only to complete the one online course specified for each year. You do not need to go back and complete online courses from past years.
Office of Child Protection/Victim Assistance
Follow the link for the Archdiocesan Office of Child Protection and Victim Assistance. The webpage includes links to the Archdiocese Child Abuse Policy, Code of Conduct, and Standards of Conduct. These policies are available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. http://www.archdpdx.org/cpo/
If you have any questions regarding the Call to Protect series or questions regarding these expectations, please contact Melissa Compton.