“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. (NIV)
The primary mission of Holy Cross Senior Ministry is to provide social and spiritual support for our senior parishioners. We accomplish this through regularly scheduled activities that foster relationships within the senior community. This ministry also includes:
- Personal visitation of elderly living in their own homes and also those who live in an institutional setting/and or nursing home
- Counseling these parishioners during stressful experience of grief, guilt, disappointments and illness
- Arranging social interaction experiences for those living alone
- Arranging weekly/monthly visitations and communion for those who request it and who are unable to attend mass due to illness or age related issues
- Assisting in helping with pre-planned funeral liturgies and bereavement
- Assisting family members (caregivers) by giving them adequate time and support during a long-term illness
- Organizing special days of retreat and the Sacrament of the Sick
- Organizing and training volunteers to help with this ministry
This group gathers on the first Wednesday of every month (October-May). We begin eating at about 11:30am in the School Basement for food, fellowship and fun! There is a monthly theme planned with the Church calendar. For more information or questions contact Sue Unger at: email@example.com or 503-953-8328 or 503-349-7075. This activity is temporarily closed. We hope to get back to Senior luncheons as soon as possible.
God's Girls are a dedicated group who pray for the needs of our community. They gather together twice a month to pray, praise, study, and share on how to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. The group meets on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month at 7pm. You’ve always got a friend with one of Gods Girls. This activity is temporarily closed except for email contact. We hope to begin again in person as soon as possible. For questions and concerns call Tannus Drakos at 503-201-7848.
Friday Senior Coffee Club
Every Friday after the 8:30am Mass, our Seniors gather in the Parish Center to share coffee and light breakfast snacks while enjoying each other's company. Big thanks to Tannus Drakos! You can call Tannus at 503-201-7848 for questions about Senior Coffee. This activity is temporarily closed. We hope to open again as soon as possible.
For more information or questions on Senior Ministry contact Sue Unger at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-953-8328 or 503-349-7075.
Individual computer classes
Want to learn more about using computers? Get set up for email? Get on Facebook? We provide one-on-one computer training at no charge. Classes are taught by a knowledgeable senior computer enthusiast.
Free, Call 503-288-8303 for appointments
Classes through Portland Parks and Recreation
The Hollywood Senior Center hosts a number of classes sponsored by the City of Portland parks department. Please contact Parks and Recreation at 503-823-2525 for class information, cost and to register.