“To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love, For it is in giving that we receive. . .”
~ from The Prayer of Saint Francis
“Wisdom is with aged men, with long life is understanding”
The primary mission of Holy Cross Senior Ministry is to provide social and spiritual support for our senior parishioners. We accomplish this through regularly scheduled activities that foster relationships within the senior community. This ministry also includes:
- Personal visitation of elderly living in their own homes and also those who live in an institutional setting/and or nursing home
- Counseling these parishioners during stressful experience of grief, guilt, disappointments and illness
- Arranging social interaction experiences for those living alone
- Arranging weekly/monthly visitations and communion for those who request it and who are unable to attend mass due to illness or age related issues
- Planning meals for all parishioners to meet and get to know one another
- Assisting in helping with pre-planned funeral liturgies and bereavement
- Assisting family members (caregivers) by giving them adequate time and support during a long-term illness
- Organizing special days of retreat and the Sacrament of the Sick
- Organizing and training volunteers to help with this ministry
On the First Wednesday of every month (October-May), we gather at 11:30 a.m .in the Parish Hall/School Basement for food, fellowship and fun! We have a monthly theme and raffle--all are welcome!
Friday Senior Coffee Club
Every Friday after the 8:30 a.m. Mass, our Seniors gather in the Parish Center to share coffee and light breakfast snacks while enjoying each other's company. Big thanks to Sr. Mary Ryan!!
Individual computer classes
Want to learn more about using computers? Get set up for email? Get on Facebook? We provide one-on-one computer training at no charge. Classes are taught by a knowledgeable senior computer enthusiast.
Charles Jordan Community Center Lab, 9009 N. Foss Street
First and Third Thursday morning (9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 a.m.) by appointment
Free, Call 503-288-8303 for appointments
Classes through Portland Parks and Recreation
The Hollywood Senior Center hosts a number of classes sponsored by the City of Portland parks department. Please contact Parks and Recreation at 503-823-2525 for class information, cost and to register. Upcoming classes include:
Drawing – colored pencil techniques – Tuesday, 10 am – noon
Watercolor: All levels – Tuesday 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Stamping Artistic Creations – Thursday, 10 am – 11:30 am
Paper Crafting – Friday, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
Recreation & Social
Our ukulele group meets Tuesday, 9:30 – 11 am and Thursday, 10:30 – 11:45 am. Space is very limited at Tuesday’s session, but Thursday has spaces available for visitors and those wishing to be permanent members.
Join with other experienced Bridge Players, Mondays, 9:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. $1 donation to Hollywood Senior Center
Hollywood Center Location, 1820 N.E. 40th: Thursdays, 1:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m., $1 donation suggested.
North Portland Location 4720 N. Trenton Street: Wednesdays, Noon to 3pm.
Hollywood Center: Tuesday, 1:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Donations appreciated.
Hollywood Center: Last Tuesday of month at 12:00 p.m., to honor those with birthdays that month. Free cake and coffee and if it’s your birthday month, you will be eligible to win a birthday cake.
Come view first-run movies at either the Hollywood Center or the Charles Jordan Community Center, 9009 N. Foss Street, the second and fourth Fridays of the month. The same movie will play the following Friday with subtitles. Seating is limited to the first 40 people, so arrive early. Movies start at 1:00 p.m. $1 requested donation at the Hollywood Center.
Monthly day trips. Extended, escorted cross-country and overseas tours are offered quarterly